On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually do have some sympathy for what celebrities go through with the
> tabloid press and photographers, and when their children or loved ones are
> harassed or placed in some harm I am willing to cut them quite a bit of
> slack in terms of their response. But Baldwin is old enough, and has been
> down this road so many times, that it is obvious that he should by now have
> more effective ways of coping with this.

Up until this incident I was willing to take Baldwin's side. I also have
sympathy for celebrities who want to be out in public and have to be
subjected to a pack of photographers. Especially young people who have not
yet developed the tools to deal with these intrusions.

But I wonder why these incidents happen only to Alec Baldwin. There are
other stars who choose to live in Manhattan and they don't seem to be
experiencing his problems. And I will grant two extenuating circumstances:
the photographers are freelancers and they are more likely to get into
print if they provoke Baldwin, knowing how he will react and they can get a
photo they can sell, and the NY Post is happy to pay for and run these
photos and run stories of Baldwin's outbursts without bothering to get his
side of the story. I can imagine that freelance photographers bother other
celebrities in the same way but they either don't get the same type of
outburst as a reaction or they can't sell the photos because the papers
feel it will make them look unsympathetic.

The reason I no longer automatically take Baldwin's side is that there have
been 3 recent incidents. First the repeated conflicts with the
photographers. Since he knows that losing his temper with them gets him
into the headlines in an unsympathetic way, he and his publicists should
have figured out some alternate strategy. Then Shia LeBoeuf was recently on
the Letterman show and talked about being fired during rehearsals from a
Broadway play he was doing with Baldwin. From the way LeBoeuf talked it was
clear that non-disclosure agreements were signed but it seems like mature
adults can find a way to resolve conflicts without going to such extreme
measures. And third was Baldwin's attitude to his podcast. I listened to
all the episodes he produced and thought highly of most of them. The fact
that he has no intention of continuing without considerable compensation
bothers me.