The John Palmer newsmagazine was "Instant Recall." Here's a clip:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4173g_instant-recall-newsmagazine-from-t_shortfilms
It used clips to look back on the current date in history. The Decades
series "Through the Decades" now uses the same concept.

In Philadelphia, at 9 am, it was Phil Donahue on the ever-dominant ABC
station, and a series of local talk shows on WCAU (then the CBS affiliate)
- The Jane Whitney Show, etc. On KYW (then with NBC), I'm not sure... it
was a Group W/Westinghouse station, so I know they carried "Hour Magazine"
with Gary Collins, but I think that didn't run until 11 am or so.