I don’t really care about AI (though I will confess to watching it), but
this is yet another example of how important it is to contextualize TV
ratings this year. The 2.3 rating was more than twice as high as what ABC
has been running in that slot this season, the highest rated show for ABC
in that slot in 4 years, the highest rated show of Sunday night, and was
roughly equivalent to the rating of the first episode of The Voice this
season (2.4). The 2.3 Rating exceeded industry predictions (most had it
coming in at under 2.0). AI functioned as a strong lead in to a new show on
ABC (can’t remember the name and don’t feel like looking it up), which gave
it a good number. The rating was 20% lower than the rating of the last
season premier of AI on Fox two years ago, which is in the ballpark of the
ratings declined shown by programs like the Daytona 500 and World Series
over that period.

Which is to say, in the 2018 TV environment, a 2.3 rating is very good, and
probably worth whatever ABC paid for AI.

The real question to me is will AI be able to maintain ratings near this
level (not sure what the typical season ratings curve looks like for AI).
Even by the standards of this kind of show I thought it was corny as hell.
I was surprise how well Richie did, and he would have an interesting take
on becoming a pop star, as he was one of those manufactured pop (R&B) stars
who actually had a really nice voice. I am not a huge Katie Perry fan, but
I thought at least she would be interesting (nope). I don’t know anything
about the country singer (I had never heard of the country singer on The
Voice when it premiered either, but found him to be both an interesting
personality and one of the better male voices in current popular music;
none of that seemed true of the AI guy - Luke something).

The first episode did remind me of the difference between The Voice and AI.
While in many ways The Voice is a better show, it seems to produce winners
who are mediocre in the actual music business - partly I think now because
it seems to cull from opening acts, lounge acts, state fair acts. The
winner tends to be one of the best acts that has already proved it can not
appeal to a major fraction of the pop music audience. AI at least presents
itself as culling from acts that have not yet really had a chance - so
while they are often more raw and undeveloped, there seems to be a chance
that occasionally they will find a real pop music star (and, occasionally,
they have - which is more than The Voice can say).