Kevin M., to David Bruggeman, in part, Saturday (7/21):

> As promised, a few words on Comic Con.
> [...]
First point of criticism: Event planners need to put a food court on site.
> I didn’t even discover the food trucks over behind the baseball stadium
> until the end of my second day. If the city wants to cut the congestion of
> the city streets, put some food options in the convention center.
>
> That's just bleeping unfathomable. Even the people in charge need to eat
and drink. I straightaway thought of the Dr Who con I was invited to in the
80s at a NJ hotel that's (I believe) still standing... any food there was
limited to the stuff they offer to everyday guests...

[...] I did take part in cosplay this year, but because I can never do what
> everybody else does, I didn’t choose a character from science fiction or
> fantasy... I chose John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn... I even grew my
> sideburns long for the first time since I was maybe 10 years old. The
> eyepatch, which thankfully went over my blind eye, became itchy after a
> while, so by the end of the day I was less Rooster Cogburn and more the
> Cowboy from the Village People.
>
> Find pix anywhere?

> [...] In a related note, there are several non-fans who show up to Comic
> Con in character, and they are paid by somebody to promote something. And
> despite most of these paid cosplayers being physically attractive women,
> there is a fakery to taking money to pretend to be a fan to lure people
> over to your display booth or whatever, and it bugs me. But one group in
> particular might have (and I’m still digesting this mentally and
> emotionally, so I may take all of this back in the morning) crossed the
> line of good taste, and they were a group of women dressed as members of
> the Manson family (the cult of murderers under the spell of Charles Manson)
> walking around like moon-eyed hippies — not breaking character — saying
> things like “Charlie loves you”... all to promote the pending release of
> yet another film about Manson. It just felt tasteless/tactless/shameless.
> Maybe tomorrow I’ll realize it was just a cheap publicity gimmick and I
> should just calm down about it, but I found the very idea distasteful.
>
> Reminds me of the cosplaying bozos in Times Square...

Overall I had a positive experience at Comic Con, but I went into it not
> looking to rush around and meet everybody and get all the exclusive
> merchandise, but rather to just relax and gather and talk amongst fellow
> geeks. Perhaps those who try to cram more into a day would’ve found this
> year’s Comic Con too much or too overflowing. I mean, there were panels I
> wanted to get into but was unable to attend for various reasons, but my
> mindset was just to do what I could and not worry about what I couldn’t
> accomplish. I took a break from my life to let loose and be goofy; if that
> notion sounds good for you, then I recommend Comic Con. If you’re the type
> who feels compelled to adhere to a strict schedule and gets all hot and
> bothered when things don’t go as planned, you might want to skip Comic Con.
>

> I take this exact same approach with Musikfest, which is coming in a
couple of weeks... how much of that I'll be able to enjoy will be further
tempered by health-care-related issues...