I have to agree with your assessment. People don't tune into a game show to
see the host. Price is Right has done well with Drew Carey,  but people
don't tune in to see him, they tune in to see the contestants win.  Same
thing with Let's Make a Deal; people don't tune in to see Wayne Brady, they
tune in to see the contestants win(and on both, sometimes they win big).
ABC did the Pyramid  revival just right, with a host who stays pretty much
out of the way, like Dick Clark or Bill Cullen did.