"Birth of a Nation" is such a caricature I don't think it needs any
explaining or context.

SPOILER ALERT
The final scene where the father is ready to club his daughter to death
with a pistol that has no ammunition rather than let her fall into the
hands of the lecherous black aggressors, and then the Ku Klux Klan
heroically rides to the rescue, is disturbing.

"Gone With the Wind" is beautifully shot and epic in scale, even by today's
standards. It could be easier to hide the racism in there.

In the 1970s, "Gone With the Wind" topped many best movie lists, ,but has
been in decline. The AFI best movie list after 100 years lists it as sixth.
It is much lower on many others. And awareness of racism had little to do
with it, I think. People just developed more sophisticated tastes. The
picture book quality of "Gone With the Wind" is less impressive.

"Birth of a Nation" was fantastically profitable for DW Griffith. It was
shown before they had formal movie theaters. Frequently they just set up a
tent, put in seats and charged admission. It played for years. It has the
distinction to be the first movie screened at The White House, in 1915.

It was based on a novel called "The Klansman," which, as racist literature
goes, was not a poorly written book. I'm not calling it a good book. But
compared to say "The Turner Diaries," the writer had storytelling skills.
"The Turner Diaries" was written like you'd expect an associate professor
of physics at a community college to write a novel.