On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 9:12 AM Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> I think that this is where the battle lines are being drawn in the
> "streaming wars." It's really about who gets what deal with what provider.
> I was listening to The Verge podcast earlier today, and they pointed out
> that Netflix has the whip hand. Whoever you are, Roku, Amazon, AN Other TV
> set manufacturer, you have to have Netflix available. Indeed Netflix
> probably want a dedicated button on your remote control.
>
> But HBO Max and Peacock aren't getting the same deals that Netflix has
> demanded (and got) or even Disney+. Roku wants to share Peacock's ad
> dollars; Amazon wants control over data and how things appear. It's a mess.
>
> I can't see any way to get everything right now without having multiple
> devices. And that means a multiplicity of remote controls because that's
> where we are in 2020...
>
> I mean some kind of regulation might be the answer but, ha ha ha ha ha

There is an alternative to regulation which is business failure. A media
company stops their streaming service because subscriptions fall when
people can't get the app on their devices or device sales fall when people
can't access their favorite services on them. Maybe there is a future like
the smartphone. Once people carried around (or wore) a cell phone, a watch,
an address book, a date planner, etc. Eventually the smartphone came along
and consolidated all of those tools.