While I don't think Burton was horrible, I think nerves, or his ambition for
the gig, or whatever got in the way of him doing a better job.  If he had 2
weeks of shows, I think his last show would have been markedly better.  But
that's just barely informed speculation.
When this whole thing started, I figured it was Jennings' job, if not to lose,
than to at least have the right of first refusal.  You bring him on to the show
as a consulting producer while Alex is still hosting.  You give him 6 weeks to
guest host.  I admit he didn't light the world on fire, but the job doesn't
require it.  If you want a name, get a name associated with the show.  And
unless your a fan of the show, the only names associated with J! are probably
Trebek, Jennings and maybe Holzhauer.  (Brad Rutter probably curses the
5-timers rule on a regular basis.)

As for the allegations about Richards (TL;DR - awful treatment of the
spokesmodels when he was an EP at The Price is Right, more than one
out-of-court settlement), the cynic in me thinks if he hasn't suffered
consequences from it by now, this may not keep him from getting the J! gig.
For something completely different - how does age factor in to this?  Except
for Burton, everyone else supposedly under serious consideration is under 50
(Cohen is under 40).  FWIW, Alex was in his 40s when he started hosting.

    On Thursday, August 5, 2021, 6:43:30 PM PDT, 'Dave Sikula' via TVorNotTV