I generally either mute or FF through the cold opens (depends on if I'm
watching live or delayed). They wouldn't be so egregious if a) they were
funny (which they never will be while Stack is there) or b) they didn't
repeat material in the monologue.

There are myriad problems with TLS, from the cold opening to the cutesy
titles in the intro to the pre-tapes (both the bands and the Friday shows;
I assume they tape those on Thursdays, but the monologue is occasionally
timely enough to make me wonder just when it was done). The biggest ones,
though, are the writing generally (I can't stand the minutes-long intros to
the "Meanwhile" segment, though Colbert seems to love them) and Colbert's
weakness as an interviewer: he constantly interrupts, steps on the guest's
lines, and gets in the way. On Friday's show, Sam Waterston may have the
best stories in the world, but he came off as an absolute stiff because
Colbert had no idea of how to deal with him.

I don't mind the current events panels, since he generally defers to the
guests, but the others are generally a mess. The show isn't as much of the
train wreck Noah has turned TDS into, but it's not that much better.

--Dave Sikula