You make my point for me. Experts are now available online without a
network filter. Survivor and victim accounts are also available.  If I’m
going to try to stomach Don Lemon or Rachel Maddow, they need to offer
something I can’t get elsewhere.

Like you, I’ve turned to TV during Breaking News throughout my life, too.
But now I not only don’t miss it, but feel I’m better informed by virtue of
not watching it.