Suffice it to say, there's a lot going on under the surface here.

Not only do we have this:
https://people.com/style/jada-pinkett-smith-dont-give-2-craps-what-people-think-of-bald-head-before-2022-oscars/,

I also read a long and informative Twitter thread this morning examining
how slapping is a long-time Scientology technique used to maintain pecking
order and discipline. Cruise doesn't go that far, but substitutes screaming
and freezing out people.

Let's not let this shitshow distract us from the bigger message of the
show: it was probably the worst Oscarcast in history, with truly terrible
writing, the most inappropriate death reel imaginable (complete with a
tribute to Betty White, whose cinematic legacy will last a lifetime), and
Schumer in a Spider-Man suit and Hall feeling up actors substituting for
virtually any mention of the honorary Oscars* and craft awards.

(*Squeezing those mentions into ten seconds at the ass-end of the show does
not count.)

My only hope is that, in spite of the increased (though still crappy)
ratings, this might be the beginning of the end for this idiotic spectacle.

--Dave Sikula