Thanks to the Netflix show, I finally have a (very) basic understanding of
the structure and strategy of the TDF. I was otherwise committed the first
week, but had not heard any spoilers, so last Saturday I started watching
the first leg. I got hooked, and have watched almost all of every stage
(about 85-90% - I find there are periods when you can tell that nothing
much is going to change for like 30 or 60 minutes, then I FF, and if
nothing has changed I might FF a little more, if something has changed I go
back). I just caught up today, and can now take a well earned day off from
the Tour tomorrow.

I gather not every year is quite as magnificent as this one has been, so I
guess I am spoiled now and will be bummed when future Tours don’t match up.
But I am really digging it.

It is interesting to see how the commentators (I watch on Peacock) have
completely erased Lance Armstrong from the history of the event. They have
gotten in a Greg LeMond reference at least once a day, but even when
discussing the decline in popularity of cycling in the US in the last 10 or
15 years they don’t acknowledge Armstrong or the whole doping scandal. They
have had segments on breakthroughs in technology and nutrition and training
which allow increases in performance, which without saying as much I take
it are attempts to allay suspicions of people like me that part of the
explanation for the amazing performances we are seeing is doping. It is
only kind of working.

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 at 9:37 AM Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> Kevin is not the only person in this group gutted by the Cavendish news.
> Still, the overall race is going so strongly that it's almost as though it
> was being scripted for the next series of the Tour de France Netflix
> documentary!
>
> My side hustle is being one of the producers on this podcast:
> https://thecyclingpodcast.com/
>
> I'm currently in France, and tomorrow will be riding the route of Stage 15
> of this year's Tour in an event called L'Étape du Tour, alongside 16,000
> other amateur riders. The weather is currently forecast to reach 34C (93F)
> which should be fun for 100m route that covers around half the height of
> Everest in altitude - 4,200m.
>
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023, 18:03 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV, <
> tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> No live viewing, even on weekends? Guess he doesn't get up early... I
>> don't either...     B
>>
>> Kevin M, to moi, July 8th:
>>
>> Dude, spoilers… it’s literally the only sports event I watch all year

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/5792241c-31ef-47c1-8263-7fac43198005n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/5792241c-31ef-47c1-8263-7fac43198005n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAD_sJGDfJ7c29P1_akgxzHggngzMV3tjMpKCg8o%2BFAPwu%3DZAEg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAD_sJGDfJ7c29P1_akgxzHggngzMV3tjMpKCg8o%2BFAPwu%3DZAEg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>