I’m so far outside the demo for Swift that in one sense I have no
meaningful take on her. I know millions of people love pumpkin lattes at
Starbucks also, and while the thought sets my teeth on edge, the fact that
I despise it is irrelevant to whether that is a good product.

OTOH, Swift is roughly the same age as Adele, another young white woman who
sings hyper personal break up songs. But I have loved Adele since I first
heard her on one of those free iTunes songs of the week, sans any ore hype,
and she has always seemed more mature and adult and genuine to me than
Swift, who comes across as a marketing confection to me. I guess I
attribute the passion and size of her fan base to the effectiveness of the
marketing.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 12:19 AM 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV <
tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Swift's been putting out albums since 2006, but I can't think of any other
> pop star who came out around the same time that has stayed in the public
> consciousness without diversifying or shifting into other arenas of
> entertainment or genres of music.  (I don't think she's impressed anyone,
> one way or the other, with her few non-music video acting roles.)
>
> Having a fan army on a scale comparable to BTS or other Asian pop acts
> does seem unique to Swift outside of those acts.  Sure, there are other
> groups of intense fans of a musical act, but both the groups and the acts
> tend to be smaller.  That could certainly be sustainable for a longer than
> average career, depending on the expectations of the artists involved.
>
> Maybe Swift has inspired her fanbase in part because her media coverage
> usually tightly links her personal life to her music.  This goes beyond
> just analyzing which single is about which relationship to include tracking
> which current or potential romantic partner was seen with her or attended
> her latest show.  And it's been happening for at least a decade.  Even in
> this period of more intense media scrutiny, this seems the hardest part of
> her trajectory to replicate.
>
> David
>
> On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 05:46:05 PM PDT, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> The Taylor Swift phenomenon is something I have never seen. I wonder if
> it’s a template for the future, where pop stars can rev up armies of
> obsessive fans, or if she is a one-time celebrity and after she passes from
> the pop scene record companies and publicists will be pushing each new star
> as “The next Taylor Swift” but it will be clear that’s not the case.
>
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 7:56 PM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <
> tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Herb Alpert and Prince also achieved the feat. She also passed Streisand
> with her twelfth career #1 longplayer...
>
> https://variety.com/2023/music/news/speak-now-chart-taylor-swift-first-woman-four-albums-top-10-1235671562/
>  (link)

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/943445977.647193.1689578377709%40mail.yahoo.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/943445977.647193.1689578377709%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>