I concur with your resentment, but I also understand the thought behind the
ageism. SNL has to cultivate a younger and more diverse audience if it is
going to survive while still not totally alienating its older viewers. I
think Michaels struggles with this, and I think Fey would struggle with it,
too, but less because of her age and more because of her inability to
pander without it seeming obvious (looking at you, Mean Girls reboot). A
younger showrunner more connected to modern popular culture might have a
better chance at reaching 14-year-olds, but teens and young adults are
unpredictable in their tastes and sensibilities (which is to say most have
neither taste nor sense). They might gravitate towards media produced by a
50-something just because society doesn’t expect them to.

Many of the middle school students I encounter consider themselves Swifties
but in the same breath say they hate country music. They believe you cannot
be successful on the basketball court without Nikes, but their Nikes are
the ones from Shoe City that on closer inspection aren’t really Nikes. You
can show them how your $20 water cup keeps drinks colder longer than their
$50 Stanley cup, but they will still maintain their cup is superior. But
any adult who tries to relate to them or speak to them using their common
slang (such as “sus” or “bussin’”) will be regarded as one step below a
pedophile. By and large, kids today (oh, how I hate that expression) can
spot someone talking down to them and immediately reject them… it might be
their only redeeming virtue. As long as SNL persists in pandering, they
will fail to capture the attention of kids today. Michaels and Fey both
only know how to do comedy that panders, which is not to say there isn’t
genuine laughter to be found in that mine, but it won’t hook young
audiences.

Kevin M. (RPCV)