> Do you have a suggestion or an example of how this might be used?

The idea I have in my head isn't backwards compatible, but I was thinking
of something like

This would break any endpoint description that starts with `(` but allows
arbitrarily nested endpoints (or even just date containing `:`).

Thinking about it some more, there isn't currently any endpoint
descriptions that have an empty name, so we could have a entirely new
syntax that starts with `:`. If we went in that direction, we'd definitely
want to think about future extensibility when designing it.
Twisted-Python mailing list