Sorry I must have been unclear.

I don't want the $ by itself, I want it to be a searchable character
in conjunction with other strings, so I want to search for "$AAPL" or
"$C" much like # is with hashtags.

I can understand not being able to search for @ or # or $ by
themselves as that would be an unreasonably large index and/or
inefficient search process.

$AAPL and AAPL should return different results... right now they do not.

-Chad

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Doug Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jonathan,
> I believe Chad wants just the dollar sign.
>
> Searching on just $ will return an error, "you must enter a query." And 
> searching on $AAPL is really searched as "AAPL" as the dollar sign is 
> stripped.
>
> I assume this is easy to enable, though technically challenging (to scale) as 
> it requires an index on a single character. You'll notice searches for '@' 
> and '#' return similar errors as they are not independently indexed either.
>
> @dougw
>
>
> (Sent from my mobile device)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Markwell <[email protected]>
>
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 01:08:31
> To: <[email protected]>
> Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: Include $ as a searchable character
>
>
>
> It is already: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%24AAPL
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Chad Etzel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to include $ as a searchable character, much like
>> # is for hashtags?  This would be handy for following stock related
>> tweets where people conventionally prepend ticker symbols with $ such
>> as $GOOG or $AAPL.  I'm sure the StockTwits devs would dig it also (I
>> am not affiliated with them).
>>
>> -Chad
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jonathan Markwell
> Engineer | Founder | Connector
>
> Inuda Innovations Ltd, Brighton, UK
>
> Web application development & support
> Twitter & Facebook integration specialists
> http://inuda.com
>
> Providing a nice place to work in the heart of Brighton - http://theskiff.org
>
> Helping people make a difference with technology  - http://inuda.org
>
> Measuring your brand's visibility on the social web - http://HowSociable.com
>
> mob: 07766 021 485 | tel: 01273 704 549 | fax: 01273 376 953
> skype: jlmarkwell | twitter: http://twitter.com/madmotive
>

Reply via email to