What would be a nice addition would be the ability to have a "mentions" meta
tag with the Tweet stating those mentioned in the Tweet.  Those in the
"mentions" meta tag don't necessarily have to be in the Tweet.  Consider
this similar to Facebook's "tagging" for photos and videos, and UIs could
build tagging around that without the user ever having to mention anyone in
the Tweet itself.
My thought on this is that by using that method, users wouldn't necessarily
have to pollute their Tweets with a user's name while trying to get their
attention.  It also wouldn't take away from the 140 characters and the Tweet
could focus more on content.  I'd love to see the same types of meta-tagging
for hashtags and keywords describing the Tweet.

Jesse