On May 4, 1:26 pm, John Adams <j...@twitter.com> wrote:
> On May 4, 2009, at 12:02 AM, Dale Cook wrote:
>
> > So my question is, is there anyway to authenticate that the email is
> > actually coming from twitter and not someone else?
>
> It's pretty easy to prove the mail was sent from us. We use
> DomainKeys. Validate our domainkey signature at the top of the email,
> and if it doesn't validate, it's not from us.

Another (simpler) trick you can do:
The from address is always of the form: twitter-dm-[name]=[domain]
@postmaster.twitter.com, so if your email address is u...@example.com
the from address will be: twitter-dm-
user=example....@postmaster.twitter.com. If you set the address to be
something random and non public, like MD5(time)@yourdomain.com, it
will make it hard to guess/fake. And then all you have to verify when
receiving the email is the from address.

Maybe using both methods will give you maximum security.

@netik - would love to hear your opinion on that.

Arik (@arikfr)