2009/5/13 John Kalucki <jkalu...@gmail.com>

> I'll attempt to answer these questions, but I can only do so with some
> speculation and humble ignorance.
>
> 1) OAuth allows clients to authenticate with the Twitter REST API via
> third-party services. These services should not also need to interact
> with the Streaming API on a per client basis. Instead, the service
> should establish a single query that satisfies all clients' needs.
> This may not be practical in all cases, but I suspect we can
> approximate the desired behavior with the current set of primitives.

John,

in your original mail on this thread you wrote:

For example, a desktop client could simulate a user's /home timeline,
minus private updates and mentions, via the "/follow" resource.
Continuous polling would no longer be necessary or desired.

This doesn't match the scenario from above, where you refer to using the
streaming endpoints from a single query per service. So still the question
how a desktop client that is trying to do OAuth and not ask users for their
passwords can use the streaming API is open - or are you saying that those
clients just cannot use it? I think this would discourage many desktop
developers from even looking into integrating OAuth for their clients, which
as I assume can't be in twitter's interest.

> 2) There are no immediate plans to support HTTPS, mainly because we're
> not really trying to keep the data private. Also, and I am probably
> totally wrong here, I don't think we use HTTPS on the main WWW site or
> on the REST API, so this doesn't make things much worse than they
> already are. A possible workaround would be for sensitive service to
> create an account just for streaming. Should the password be
> compromised, there's only a denial of service risk and no further
> risk.

Again, this doesn't help much in the context of desktop app use, as it would
have to use it's authenticated user's credentials. Clients just shouldn't
send a cleartext password over an unecrypted connection IMO.

Marco