I am finding near all apps I use with twitter in some way or another fail at threading a conversation. Anyone have pointers for how to do this, based on the current twitter API, and whatever bugs have been uncovered, perhaps with workarounds?

Each tweet has a 'in_reply_to_status_id', if I understand, the existence of in_reply_to_status_id, means that the current tweet is a child of some parent.

tweet:
        id = 1234
        in_reply_to_status_id = 5678

In the above example, tweet #5678 would be the start of the conversation, and tweet #1234 would be the reply?

What has me stumped:
http://twitter.com/criticalmassey/status/2383870573

Clearly a reply to something @ahem said, which started here:
http://twitter.com/Ahem/status/2382725245

However, if I search.twitter.com for @ahem, I can get this conversation:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/06.30.09/twitter-b06e01bd-154810.png
But it is missing the parent, the start of the thread.

I can see the master parent here:
http://search.twitter.com/search?max_id=2410761989&page=2&q=+from%3Aahem&rpp=10
But threading is not an option.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around what the limitations of threading are. Any suggestions on how to better understand this would be most appreciated.

Ideally, what I am looking for, is to take any tweet, determine what other replies there are to it, and get back to the parent, displaying all children. I would like to avoid any ambiguous tweet searches that are not based on a message-id, and could pollute the results with inaccurate threading.