Yes, it's a bit of a pain right now. Long term, we intend on providing
methods in the REST API that you can call from another process, while
connected to the Streaming API. Those methods will allow you to add and
remove user IDs from the list of users you're getting streaming updates
from.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x