Hi,

I'm working on a similar system in which members on my site
dynamically "subscribe" to Twitter. Thus, my following list is
constantly changing. To provide a reasonable user experience, I'd have
to disconnect/reconnect every couple minutes to ensure their
subscription is recognized in a timely manner :/

I understand that the constant disconnect/reconnect cycle is
suboptimal for you guys. So, I have a fallback plan of concurrently
using both the streaming API for existing subscribers while using the
REST API to temporarily poll for status updates for all new
subscribers. Every hour or so, I'd merge these new subscribers into
the main followers list and reconnect the stream. This is possible,
but would definitely be some extra work to build.  Alex described the
possible addition of a REST API to dynamically update the followers
list. Is there any chance this is coming in the near future i.e. next
3 weeks? :)  Or do you guys have any other ideas on how I'd go about
solving this given the current set of APIs?  Thanks!

-nick