Lots of people are making money via Twitter. Some sell their applications,
others post ads directly on Twitter, others use Twitter content on their
sites and include ads there; there are many different possible business
models.
As long as you stay within our terms of service - which, of course, may be
updated at our discretion, so stay current - you should be fine.

We do actively police spam and abusive behavior. Some people's conception of
legitimate business, it turns out, is everyone else's conception of
unsolicited and aggressive marketing. Don't do that.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x