Thanks for the answer. A follow up: assuming there's no problem with
my code, but I am getting errors opening up a socket due to twitter
updates, acts of god, etc., would this be acceptable behavior (to keep
the socket open):

on > 400 errors: make my retry interval 10 seconds, for the next 4
minutes, then switch to 1 minute for the next hour, then switch to 10
minutes from that point on.

on < 400 errors: make my retry interval 250ms for the next 16 seconds,
then switch to 1 second for the next minute, then switch to 1 minute
for the next hour, finally switching to 10 minutes from that point on.