The first Twitpocalypse involved the tweet ID's moving past the
highest 32-bit *signed* integer (which is 2,147,483,647).

This time around the tweet ID's will move past the highest 32-bit
*un*signed integer (which is 4,294,967,295).

Developers should make sure the code they are using to
store/manipulate tweet ID's is treating them as (at least) 64 bit
integers (BIGINT in sql or "long long" in some other typed languages,
unsigned preferably).

Some people have expressed storing tweet ID's as strings, however
never having personally done that, I'm not fully aware of the
implications of doing so.

-Chad
Twitter Platform Team