As I've pointed out in other posts to this group, and I will be the
first to acknowledge that there are conflicting opinions and facts on
this, it is my understanding and experience that for GET requests that
require authorization the rate limit is per user per IP address:
-    If *EITHER* the user or the IP address or both are white-listed,
then the rate limit is 20k requests per hour for that user using that
IP address.
-   If *NEITHER* the user nor the IP address is white-listed, the the
rate limit is 150 requests per hour, again for that user using that IP
address.

So, again as I understand it, either of your scenarios should work OK,
and in neither case should you be black-holed.

In scenario 1, you would have 10k users * 20k requests per hour for an
aggregate rate limit of 200kk (i.e., 200 million) requests per hour.
Even if you corner the market on twitter API usage, I can't imagine
generating that many requests per hour! :-)

In scenario 2, you would have 10k users * 150 requests per hour for an
aggregate rate limit of a mere 1.5kk (i.e, 1.5 million) requests per
hour. You probably can't corner the market with that limited capacity.
Oh well, I guess you'll have to find another business model! :-)

BTW, IMHO, I believe that what the twitter API spec is calling
"authenticated" requests should be called "authorized" requests.
Authentication is a prelude and prerequisite to authorization, and in
delivering the requested service the API is authorizing you to receive
the service for the authenticated user. If the API were just
authenticating the user, it would return a simple, binary "Yes, the
user has been authenticated to our satisfaction" or "No, the user has
not been authenticated to our satisfaction" answer to a request for
authentication.

Comments expected and welcome.

Jim Renkel