Streaming methods are your friend. Start with the follow method, and
email the API team about getting Shadow. If your use is legit (likely)
then they'll give you Shadow. If/when you outstrip Shadow they will
likely upgrade you then.

The only caveat to streaming is that if you miss some time (downtime,
etc) then you'll miss updates.

You can also use the REST api to grab updates from non-protected
users. Get your account whitelisted and you'll be able to pull 20K
queries per hour. Not a bad way to catch up if you miss some of the
streaming.

Sounds definitely possible.

dave
webecologyproject.org