This is a good discussion - I've yet to find a canonical answer for how this
*should* be done for client-side/consumer apps.

If you are distributing a server application, then putting the application
registration instructions in a README is perhaps not such a big deal.
Desktop/mobile apps are another matter though.

It's also worth saying that even if you could find a secure way of
distributing a consumer key, you gotta ask if its even the right thing to be
doing. I think not. Definitely not. Once the code is "out there", I don't
want everyone authenticating with _my_ application registration and consumer
key (at this point, I have no way of knowing that the app hasn't been
modified in some way that I do not approve of. I risk one rogue instance
getting me blacklisted and in turn disabling every other instance. Great,
DoS by design).

Since the README approach is such a big no-no for client-side/consumer apps,
the question I'd be asking is: where is the API for performing an initial
application registration/bootstrap?

i.e. an example of the scenario I have in mind (considering a desktop app):
- user installs the app
- on first use, directs the user through online login to twitter and
automatic oauth client app request
- newly registered application credentials transparently returned to the
application (securely; somehow)
- application saves the (instance specific) application key and consumer
secret; uses these for standard oauth in subsequent sessions.

Does anything along these lines already exist? If so, I haven't stumbled
upon it yet.

Regards,
Paul
http://tardate.com