Hi,
I too am seeing a similar issue.  I have had a lot of users say that this is
occurring even going so far to raise chargebacks against my service.

I also notice that friendships/create often returns a 200 but the response
is empty, when normally you get the information about the person being
followed.  I am ignoring the blank responses for now, but I don't know if
that is correct as I can't tell if these are followed or not bearing in mind
that even if user information is returned the user still might not be
followed.

Paul