Hi,

the developer wiki mentions that the source parameter is no longer
recommended, because using oauth, twitter can already know the source
of messages.

However, there are a few use case scenario's that are limited if
source is only available through oauth.

Oauth is all about delegated authentication. It's about the user
granting access to his resources to a service.

There are services out there that do not use the user's credentials at
all, but use their own account. E.g. I built flackr.net, and it logs
in with its own @flackr account to follow its own timeline and
aggregate news on a website. I don't need user's credentials at all
for that. The Flackr backend is autonomous and runs on a server that
has no web frontend, it just fetches data and processes it. It does
send out tweets when it has aggregated something interesting.

If I were to use oauth in this scenario I would have to build in full
oauth support in my backend script, only to login once with my own
account to grant myself access.  Since this is not about delegated
access, I don't need oauth and can authenticate against twitter
directly.

This is a perfectly good use case scenario, and the source parameter
would have to stay in order to support this use case scenario while
still providing a different source.