Tim,

We specify full URLs to images so that developers don't have to supply
custom code to pull in profile images and background images. It sounds
like you have a pretty unusual use case for our profile images.

For what it's worth, I think we deployed six variations of those
images, but our front end team may deploy more at any time. Similarly,
they may change up the default profile colors and such. That's out of
the control of our team.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x