Search runs of of a different database then the REST API. Currently deleted
statuses do not get propagated to the Search database. It is a know issue:
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=164

--
Abraham Williams | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org
Hacker | http://abrah.am | http://twitter.com/abraham