If you are looking to do something basic like that, then curl works well. As a perl script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
my $VAR1="hello";
my $VAR2="bye bye";

my $response=`curl --basic --user test:water --data status=\"aHello world $VAR1 $VAR2. This is my first test tweet automatically posted from a perl script\" http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml`;

print $response;

Naturally, if you want to start doing more complex stuff, especially OAuth, then the CPAN libraries are an enormous help.

Nigel
http://tags.linkky.com
@secretbear

apfelmaennchen wrote:
I really find it difficult to understand documentation how to code a
TWITTER-API in perl. But with a bit "start-help", I think I'll be able
to proceed.

Can somebody help me with a sample PERL-code:

From within a PERL script  ( which has two variables filled with
strings. names of those VARS are $VAR1, $VAR2) I want to

a) connect to twitter (lets assume username = "test", password =
"water")
b) send a tweet "Hello world $VAR1 {space} $VAR2. This is my first
test tweet automatically posted from a perl script".
c) disconnect from twitter

Maybe you also can give a command-reference, something like "perl
TWITTER API in a nutshell".

Very many thanks for your help, Alex