I figured out what's happening.  When "RT @thekabira" gets added to the
front of the tweet, it makes the tweet text longer than 140 characters, so
it then cuts off the rest of the tweet, which is what had "act" in it, so it
never shows up through the streaming api tracking for anything with "act" in
it.

So this tweet: "What’s the deal with the Climate Bill? RT new
#climategraphic <http://twitter.com/search?q=%23climategraphic>, win a
prize! http://bit.ly/12H1X7 via @PhaedraEL <http://twitter.com/PhaedraEL>
http://act.ly/Rxt";

turns into this, when it's retweeted: