Just a couple of queries: I'm using the Atom format for search results
(As mentioned on http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-Search-API-Method%3A-search) .
I get the published date in the atom feed. So I am not sure what you
mean by "created_at":"Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:06:44 +0000". The format
available in the atom feed is like this "2009-11-27T04:45:03Z". Do you
mean the JSON format or are you referring to the search results
returned by the streaming API ?

Oddly though if I viewed the same feed in my browser, I could see the
correct local times reported. Maybe a browser thing I guess...Anyway,
converting the time reported to my timezone, shouldn't be that much of
a problem I guess.

time reported as 2009-11-27T04:45:03Z is in ISO8601 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 ), and the Z at the end means "Zulu" time (otherwise known as UTC). i wouldn't be all that surprised that if a browser, when encountering an atom feed, converts the time into local time.

The streaming API seems like a good idea. Probably will consider
shifting to it. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas about my
first problem? Any idea as to why I get some "stale" results (some
times a couple of hours old) when I query with the API and the latest
results when I query using Twitter advanced search? Or will switching
to the feed generated for the advanced search results, instead of
using the API solve my problem ?

the search API does have a cache on it, specifically because there are a lot of applications which instead of using the streaming API are hammering the search API instead. you are probably seeing a cache hit as the search result.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team