On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 04:23:40PM -0500, TJ Luoma wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
> <zzn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Twitter, what say you? Developer community, what say you?
> >

> Twitter, Inc. can't even keep up with porn spammers reported manually
> using the "Report As Spam" links, what makes you think they would be
> able to keep up with an automated version?

As Ed demonstrated in his original message, this particular class of
spambots can be detected and auto-blocked quite easily.  With the
information he provided, I (and I expect many others on this list) could
create an anti-BritneyBot-bot to do so in very short order, if not for
the potential legal/TOS issues which could arise from doing so without
Twitter's official sanction.

It's not a question of keeping up with them; Twitter could use Ed's
suggested technique to shut them all down en masse at the cost of less
than one day of a single employee's time (and they may have other
techniques they could use which would be more effective and/or even
quicker to implement).  It's a question of will and of policy.

--
Dave Sherohman