there will be much more information about this soon.  in general, the
API for browser-less apps is designed for applications or environments
that are unable to bring up a web browser -- desktop clients,
presumably, can still bring up a web page?  either way, the benefit of
the web page is that you give the user a sense of security that their
twitter username and password is safe and unshared.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team