My G/F is getting the same thing. She has DM's set to go via SMS, but she also gets tweets as SMS on a daly basis, at some pretty unruly hours. These are just normal tweets, by people she is following. Some, if not most, are not following her back.

I do not have this problem, and follow much larger base of people than she does. However, I also follow the same people she is following, which are somehow able to get a normal tweet to go over SMS to her.

Is this a known issue, is there some way to make it stop? It is important to get DM's via SMS, but it is also important to not get woken up at 4AM from @someone_i_just_follow.