True, but Yahoo! Mail and others do get it right.
It's been a few years I no longer worry sending an email with a URL at the end
of a sentence. I wonder how they do it.

> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:48:31 -0800
> Subject: [twitter-dev] Re: URLification
> From: dba...@gmail.com
> To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
>
> Periods and parentheses are valid url characters. Assuming that an
> adjacent period or closing parenthesis is not part of the url is a
> gamble. The most sensible urlification includes all valid characters
> until it finds one that clearly delimits the url such as a space.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
>
> On Dec 17, 7:13 am, Ken Dobruskin <k...@cimas.ch> wrote:
> > When adding a URL surrounded by parentheses or followed by a period, these
> > marks are included in the resulting link. Is a trailing whitespace the only
> > workaround? It's ugly and wastes a character.

> > Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right
> > from
> > HotmailĀ®.http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-act...

Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr, Yelp, and Digg updates when they e-mail
you.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_3:092010