Then use authenticate. It accomplishes the same effect of authorize.

Does it?  My notes say that authenticate leaves the user logged into
twitter if they weren't before and that authorize doesn't.

For my purposes, I'd like to force the user to specify their twitter
account and password even if they're already logged in and not change
their login state (as far as twitter is concerned) at all.

I can imagine folks who'd like to allow users to quickly authorize
the
use of the logged in account (if any)

I can't imagine anyone who'd want to change the user's logged in
state.

Then again, my notes also say that
onhttps://twitter.com/oauth/authenticate?force_login=true?{signed
args} works.