To me it sounds like a setup that you could do with a centralised data
source.

I would be tempted to build some sort of Twitter proxy service which
all your requests go through. You could mimic the Twitter API however
yours could including a caching mechanism which would support all of
your other sites. If you mimic the API correctly you wont have to
change any of your existing codebase except the hostname that you are
making the call to.

However if you think the widget might work then maybe run a few tests
that way, it is by far the simplest option and i have found it to work
great for smaller client projects. Twitter support are always good to
iron out any vagueness to the API restrictions in place, you might be
best filing a support ticket.

Josh