please check out http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-API-Documentation - it
lists the full domain and URL you should be using for all calls.  in
general, all the timeline, status, user related methods are on
api.twitter.com, and search related methods are on search.twitter.com.

the exception comes with trends:

   - the "trends api" which has local trends and global trends is on
   api.twitter.com;
   - the original trends information (global trends, daily global trends,
   weekly global trends) are on search twitter.com.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team