Zach,

There's a soon to be published API method where you can silently get
the OAuth tokens when you have the account's Twitter username and
password, meaning the user does not experience any of the normal OAuth
flow.

I presume that Seesmic just got early access to that method.

So, in this case, user-to-app requires Basic Auth credentials, but app-
to-Twitter uses OAuth once the app has obtained the tokens with the
new method.