Great. I noticed an interesting trick that Google recommends: a
callback url will have <script type="text/javascript">window.close();</
script>
And that's all!

So basically when Twitter redirects to the callback url, the html in
that callback will just close that popup and do nothing else.
Then the parent window will check to see if popup window has been
closed (maybe using the interval timer) and if it detects that popup
has been closed, it will then issue another ajax request to get the
user data from the server. The user data would then be avialable in
the same SESSION because the callback url, before sending out the
html, will add user's data to session.

This is simple, I've seen this on one of the Twitter-based website.

for some reason I was going to do it differently: I was going to have
the callback url to send json object to the popup window and then from
that popup window call the window.opener.login(o)
That would pass the user data (contents of 'o') back to the parent
window (the one that opened the popup)

The o is that json object. The opener window would then close the
popup window.

This may be more efficient because you don't need that extra ajax call
from the main parent window.
Not sure if this is a good solution because I'm not sure if it works
with all browsers.

I guess I just have to try it.