I agree that having gravatar-style service for twitter avatars will be
tremendously useful!

Even better, if avatars are stored in .png ONLY, in which case you can
just use the url without even checking with gravatar-like service.
For example just put avatar.twitter.com/23423423423423.png (by twitter
id) or maybe even by username.png

Done! The http configuration will then have a custom directive to
return a default avatar if user-specific one does not exist

The png is good choice because it can be animated and support
transparency. Just convert uploaded jpg or gif images to .png and they
good to go.

Then, a web based app can just generate a path to avatar based on
username or userid and at least the default avatar will be shown. If
user updates the avatar, then the current one will be shown,
eliminating the need to check with API. Developers can add ?timestamp
to image to disable browser caching if they want to.