I couldn't agree more, it's pretty lame that:
a) the rate limit method returns incorrect results
b) only rate limited requests return any rate limiting information

You have a lot of situations where you firstly need to find out how
many requests you have left and take actions accordingly, i.e. you
need to know the rate limiting information before starting to make any
requests that are rate limited. In any case, the status quo doesn't
seem to be well thought through.