A method via the streaming API to get friendship / follower updates would be
nice.

Now it may be better to use the users/followers method instead of
followers/ids. The reason
is this is ordered from newest to oldest based on when the user followed
you. So you would start
paginating from the start and keep going until you reach a "known" follower.
At that point
you should have a list of all new followers. You would still need to scan
the entire follower list
to find unfollows (if you need that info).

Josh