Newline is a logical concept generally materialized as a CRLF. The pair of
characters is a "newline".

Generally you don't need to look for the newline, if you can set your TCP
socket timeout to some small multiple of the keepalive time, perhaps 60 or
90 seconds, you should get this for free.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.