1) Look into whitelisting.
2) I don't know if this is a bug, or if it's on the roadmap for
getting fixed, but as of the other week, you were still able (unless
I'm crazy, I've been averaging <4 hours of sleep the past 6 weeks,
anything's possible) to send DMs to yourself, from yourself, via
approved OAuth apps. You could get user permission then use the user's
account to send their own account the notification DM.

∞ Andy Badera
∞ +1 518-641-1280 Google Voice
∞ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
∞ Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew%20badera