I'm trying to post a Twitter update using Javascript - here's my code:

            xhr.open("POST", "http://twitter.com/statuses/
update.json", true);
            xhr.setRequestHeader('Authorization', 'Basic ' + b64unpw);
            xhr.setRequestHeader("Content-type", "application/x-www-
form-urlencoded");
            xhr.setRequestHeader("Content-length", posttext.length);
            xhr.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");
            xhr.setRequestHeader("Accept-encoding", "text/plain");
            xhr.send("status=" + encodeURIComponent("top & bottom"));

The tweet is posted but it looks like this: top %26 bottom

This works fine:

curl --basic --user onetwthree:longlongpw --data status='top %26
bottom' http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json

so what's the problem with my javascript?